We have two rules at Desafio Adventure Company: 1) Be Safe! and 2) Have Serious Fun! Desafío prides itself in running safe tours and transport with the best logistics and safety procedures in the industry. Our guides and staff are well-trained in emergency situations and take your safety very seriously. Should an accident occur, we're covered by a comprehensive umbrella liability insurance policy.
Also, have a look at our Adventure Waiver for additional information about our policies for each, individual tour we operate.
Thank you for booking with Desafio Adventure Company!
· Many of our adventure activities such as rafting and canyoneering involve inherent risk and physical exertion, so you must be in good physical condition without any recent health condition that may impede your safety and well-being, such as, but not limited to: surgery, heart condition, pregnancy, disability, asthma or injury. If you take medication such as allergy pills and need them with you or have other medical concerns, please inform the guide.
· Desafio Adventure Company reserves the right to cancel any trip due to unsafe conditions and will only run a tour according to established company policies. A refund is given if (on rare occasion) no tour is run. For reasons beyond our control (climate, river levels, etc.), we may change to a more-suitable tour with an equal or similar difficulty rating and adventure-appeal or offer other tour options so you don't miss out on a fun day in Costa Rica. Our Head Guide helps make the final decision.
· Costa Rica's natural environment is filled with insects, snakes, crocodiles & other wildlife. In addition, landslides, falling rocks & sudden flash floods are possible. We may not be held responsible for any of the above. We may evaluate any force majeure event on a case by case basis to find a reasonable solution.
· Desafio Adventure Company has a comprehensive civil responsibility and liability insurance policy and our guides and drivers are trained in first aid/CPR in case of emergency. However, we highly recommend you have your own travel insurance with a reputable company prior to participating in a tour.
· We have the right to cancel a tour if a client is seen unfit to do a tour for their own safety and/or safety of clients and guides. Clients must not be under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
· Please do not take valuables on tours such as jewelry, passports, etc. Desafio Adventure Company and affiliates are not responsible for lost, broken or stolen items. We have a lost & found for tours/services and donate items after 2 weeks.
· We recommend closed-toed shoes for hikes, horseback & canyoneering. You should know how to swim and feel comfortable in water.
· The maximum weight limit for horseback riding is 200lbs as Costa Rican horses are smaller in frame than Western horses. We require a maximum of 225lbs. for rafting and canyoneering. Please contact us should you have concerns about this.
· Desafío prides itself in having one of the most flexible reservation and cancellation policies in the industry in Costa Rica. Desafio will provide a refund should a Desafio service be cancelled due to inclement weather or safety concerns. No refund applies for services used (such as the cost of lunch, transport, etc,). There is no charge if you re-book your tour.
· Cancellations for day tours must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the service, in writing and acknowledged by Desafio Adventure Company.
There are no refunds for no shows, last-minute cancellations or for portions of a tour a client chooses not to participate in. If clients are unable to reschedule, the client is refunded according to how the payment was made.
· Please be ready at the given pick-up time and allow time for road conditions and other clients being picked-up along the way. Your guide and/or driver can only allow a 5-minute wait time.
If clients are not ready, the driver will ask the receptionist to indicate “No Show" at the time indicated.
Clients left behind are responsible for making arrangements to catch up with the trip at their own costs.
If you have not been picked-up within 10 minutes of your established pick-up time, please call our office.
Recommended ages for tours operated by Desafio:
• Rafting class 3-4: 13-65;
• Rafting class 2-3, Mountain Biking & Venado Caves: 10-65;
• Gravity Falls: 16-55;
• Canyoning: 10-60;
• Safari Float & nature walks (Arenal Volcano, Hanging Bridges, Nature Combo 6x1): 6-66+
• Horseback riding: 8-65
• Stand Up Paddling & Kayaking: 8-85
• Community, Culture & Nature, Turtle Observation Tours, Cooking Class & Farm Tours: no age limit.
• Most tours require 2 people minimum.
Policies for Multi-Day Vacation Packages
Cancellations for day tours must be made no later than 48 hours prior to the service.
For entire package tours cancelled less than one month in advance, we cannot give a full refund as many hotels and some tour operators do not allow for short notice cancellations (see policy below.)
There are no refunds for no shows or parts of the tour or itinerary clients request to cancel at the last minute or decide not participate in while on an excursion.
Any cancellation by a client must be made in writing and acknowledged by Desafio Adventure Company.
· The date on which the request to cancel is received by us will determine the applicable charge. Note that any costs incurred for changes made by the customer after the itinerary is confirmed are the sole responsibility of the customer.
· Payment policy for package tours is 50% at booking and the remaining 50% one month before the start of the tour package.
We are obliged by the same reservation and cancellation policies of the hotels and may require the full payment for the hotel portion of the vacation package according to hotel requirements.
Desafío prides itself in having some of the most flexible reservation policies in the tourism industry in Costa Rica. We will not charge you if you re-book tours and transport should you need to change your plans and move your vacations dates.
· Up to 31 days before your multi-day trip starts: refund of 50% deposit minus 10% (of total package price) administrative fee.
· 30 to 2 days before multi-day trip starts: 40% refund (the 60% we keep would cover the hotel costs which are usually 40-50% of the total package price plus 10% for administrative costs)
· Peak-season travel (December 15th-January 1st) requires a 50% per person non-refundable deposit.
There are no refunds for unused portions and no-shows. Should clients change their itinerary once in Costa Rica, it will be at their own expense. Just let us know if there is anything you'd like to add or change to your itinerary.
We perform routine inspections to make sure we have the most updated information about the hotels and other lodging options we recommend. We prefer to use comfortable, locally-owned hotels or rental homes with Costa Rican charm.
The itinerary will detail reservation policies for children at hotels and the amenities available. Costa Rican queen-sized beds are the same as what those in the US consider “double beds," although some hotels may have true queen-sized beds.
Unfortunately, we cannot guarantee the type of bed requested at our hotels.
* Double rooms: The hotels we work with consider double rooms as a room with one or two beds and private bathroom.
* Triple and Quadruple rooms: Usually two beds with a rollaway bed available. Some hotels do have joining rooms or larger suites available at an additional cost.
If on a group tour and a room is being shared and a person cancels, a single supplement rate will be charged.
We provide transportation in our modern tourism vans with a/c, friendly drivers with some English-speaking abilities and FREE WiFi on board Desafío vehicles.
We can not be held responsible for limited WiFi signal in certain parts of the country.
Please be ready at the given time of your service. If you have not been picked-up within 10 minutes, please call our office.
We use Hyundai H1 or Toyota Hiace for up to 10 pax and Hyundai County for up to 22 pax, depending on the size of the group and vehicle requested.
We are not responsible for lost or damaged belongings and strongly recommend not traveling with valuables.
If you rent a car, the insurance is often excluded and you often will not be able to use your credit card for insurance. It's important to check first.
Our Costa Rica Multi-day Vacation package prices do not include air travel, country entry or departure fees, airport porter fees, visas, phones, valet, beverages, alcohol and food not on the itinerary, tips and gratuities.
Please ask about our All-Inclusive vacation options are available if you'd like more meals and other services automatically included.
Passport, Visa Requirements & Border Crossings:
Travel to Costa Rica requires a valid passport for more than 6 months after the date of arrival.
Please check passport and visa requirements for non-U.S. citizens. It's a good idea to carry a copy of your itinerary and passport with your last entry stamp with you at all times.
For package tours that enter Nicaragua or Panama, you must have your valid passport with you at all times. Border-crossing fees are not included.
Policies for Items Purchased at our EGO Store
We want you to be 100% satisfied with your purchase - we will honor the manufacturer's guarantee for factory defects and allow for exchanges within 30 days of purchase, but all other sales are final.
The EGO Store guarantee will not cover wear and tear or damage caused by improper use or accidents.
You can return or exchange purchases from the EGO Store by mail directly to the manufacturer with proof of tracking or at any of our EGO Store locations. Please provide your store receipt for all returned items and exchanges.
Pricing, Payment & Cancellation Policies
· Children 5 and under are free on Desafío-operated tours, however, we are held to policies for services we sub-contract.
· Costa Rican citizens, residents, students of all ages & military personnel get a 10% discount on Desafio-operated tours.
· If a child is required an extra guide, the cost is $30 pre-reserved.
· A tour requested to be private for the transport part of the tour, is an additional $70 per person.
· Payments can be made to PayPal or credit card via a signed credit card authorization form (Visa/MasterCard/American Express).
Credit cards are charged once the authorization form has been received in our office.
Direct deposits can be made to our Banco Nacional de Costa dollars account: 200-02-057-0379-3 (client account: 15105720020003798.)
If paying via PayPal, related transaction charges will be covered by the purchaser.
Reservations are not confirmed until we acknowledge receipt of written service request and/or signed credit card authorization form.
· Confirmation subject to availability: Due to our small, personalized tours, we cannot guarantee your reservation until we have confirmed receipt of your payment. We may require an earlier pre-payment for tours and services during our high and peak seasons (July-August and/or December-January, etc.).
If payment is made via deposit, wire transfer, PayPal or credit card, please send deposit slip as confirmation of pre-payment.
Cancellations for hotel reservations must be made no later than 40 days prior to the hotel check in date, in writing and acknowledged by Desafio Adventure Company.
Cancellations for Desafío day tours must be made no later than 7 days prior to the service for a full-refund for groups of 6+ and 48 hours prior for all other reservations and 24 hours for a 50% refund.
We cannot give a full refund for some services cancelled less than one-month in advance, because other tour operators and hotels do not allow for short-notice cancellations and we must adhere to their reservation and cancellation policies. No refunds for no shows.
Cancellation by a client must be made in writing and acknowledged by Desafio Adventure Company in writing. The date in which the request to cancel is confirmed by Desafio will determine the cancellation charge applied.
Thank you for reserving with Desafio Adventure Company!