Top 6 Important Tips for Travelling with Kids in Costa Rica
by Christine Krishnan, Community Collaborator at Desafio Adventure Company
Are you looking for a vacation destination that is adventure-filled and kid-friendly at the same time? Costa Rica is a unique place offering vacation opportunities in many different hotspots across the country to suit all ages and interests: the Pacific and Caribbean coasts, chilly mountain range, rainforests, cloud forests, hot beaches, calm lakes, exuberant rivers and the roaring ocean. There are also hotels and resorts that are suitable for all age groups and families. Whether you are looking to stay at an all-inclusive resort, or visit multiple places within the country there are oh so many things to see and do with your kids in Costa Rica.
Many parents have asked us: "Is Costa Rica safe?" Yes it is safe! When travelling within any foreign country, however, it is a good idea to ask questions and do research about certain things to look out for. But overall, you and your family will feel very comfortable here in Costa Rica!
1) Eye spy a volcano: Costa Rica is the home to 7 volcanoes, some of which are still active! One of the most visited volcanoes is the “sleeping” Arenal Volcano, known for its almost-perfect cone shape and eruption in 1978. It also gives life to the many surrounding hot springs as they rely on its geothermal heat.
2) Hot! Hot! Hot!: There are many hot spring resorts to choose from in the Arenal Volcano area and kids love exploring the different pools that many resorts offer. The super kid-friendly Los Lagos resort is one that we recommend as they have 12 different pools and fun water slides!
3) Vertical Rain in the Cloud Forest: In Monteverde, you will have the chance to see the unique cloud forest full of lush greenery, humungous leaves, interesting wildlife, and towering old-growth trees. This is the home to some of the best zip lining and hanging bridges in the country. Children love these tours – they will never forget their cloud forest adventure high above the treetops!
4) Creepy crawlies up close and personal! If your kids don’t already have an interest in animals or the creepy crawlies that exist in the Costa Rican forests, they will after this trip! You can visit Serpentariums, Frog Ponds and other nature reserves that offer real life encounters with crocodiles, all types of snakes, cool frogs, beautiful butterflies, and even hummingbirds! Have you ever seen a glass frog? It is so transparent that you can actually see the organs inside of its body! Check out Arenal Natura, Eco-Center Danaus just to mention a couple.
5) Vamos a la playa! If you are looking for a more beach-focused vacation, there are many beaches to choose from that are both beautiful and fun for families. Stick with some of the more popular beaches, like Tamarindo, Manuel Antonio and Samara, as they will have more restaurant options, hotels and tours to choose from. All of these areas have resorts if you are looking for a more all-inclusive option. Or if you prefer to stay in town, there are many cute little hotels with swimming pools, surrounded by many restaurants and shopping options. We love the Pequeno Gecko Verde Hotel in Samara for youngsters because of its cute private bungalows, swimming pool, and private beach.
6) Adventure Connections Save Time and Save Money! You can stay in one place for a week or two, or travel around, visiting a number of places in one trip. You can get from place to place with Desafio’s Adventure Connections Transfer with a Tour - an opportunity to travel between destinations, stopping along the way to try adventure activities such as a safari river float, volcano hikes, or a chocolate farm tour! It’s a great way to see the country, save money and save your little ones from asking “are we there yet?”
Check out some of our Costa Rica family-friendly getaways!
On October 26-31, 2016 an elite group of executive thought leaders were invited to participate in a revolutionary event deep in the heart of the Costa Rican jungle at the base of the Arenal Volcano: the Executive Thought Leadership Summit 2016 with&n..
A Saturday Afternoon in La Fortuna near the Arenal Volcanoby Suresh and Christine Krishnan, owners of Desafio Adventure CompanyIt's a late Saturday afternoon in downtown La Fortuna at the base of one of the world's most-iconic volcanoes. Th..
Canyoning in Costa Rica: The wildest, craziest, most adventurous thing I've done!by Tui Frye, Events & IncentivesMy first time canyoning came somewhat unexpectedly. I actually had it scheduled earlier in the week, but had to postpone as I was..
I was Inspi(red) todayby Christine Krishnan, Community BuilderToday I wore my favorite red t-shirt. It says Inspi(red) on it. I bought it for 800 colones (roughly a US$1.30) at my favorite "Ropa Americana" or local thrift store.I had no idea what ..